Wittenmyer Editorial: Spending Time, Wasting Time
In an ironic twist, as leaders, we spend more time, wasting time on items that keep us from moving the needle. The 525,600 minutes in a year sounds like a massive amount of time, yet as we plow through our to-do lists, it may feel like chunks of time just perish into thin air. As leaders we can move mountains for our team to help them achieve, and make the unthinkable idea a reality. But no pile of money can buy us an extra hour or two or five to lengthen our day to accomplish all that we want for ourselves and our team.
How Are We Spending Our Time?
The typical company leader spends 30% of their time in emails. The other 70% of their time is spread across a variety of tasks from development to human resource issues and of course, sales. An informal study published a few years ago offered these five areas of focus for leaders in any industry.
- Developing Strategy – what are our dealership financial goals and how will my team reach them?
- Communication – your team cannot effectively reach the goals established if you as a leader have not communicated them effectively. Communication needs to be consistent. It also needs to be swift when course corrections are needed.
- Establishing and Creating a Culture – In short, we’re talking hiring. Finding the right people for your culture, and placing them in the right positions, so your employees are successful in executing the ultimate vision.
- Assistance – Removing obstacles that prevent success reaffirms your commitment to your team’s success individually and for the dealership. Assistance also comes with the understanding that “help” can come in the form of knowing when to get out of your team’s way.
- Resources – Providing the resources needed to make your team’s jobs easier, and your efforts highly organized for effective customer follow-up and measurement.
Think about how these key areas fit into the dealership setting. While being busy can be seen as a blessing for dealer leaders, it can cause us to lose focus on our primary job – to lead. Bill Wittenmyer, Partner at ELEAD1ONE, explains the key to maintaining focus on what matters. The shift minimizes time spent on minutiae that can keep you and your team from meeting their goals in his March 2017 AutoSuccess editorial PDF “Spending Time, Wasting Time.”
- Tangible approaches to prioritizing your time to reinforce goals that need to be met
- How fixating on reporting can be a hindrance not a help.
- Waiting for the absolute perfect dealership tool can hold your team back from realizing success
Prioritizing your time allows you to be a better leader for the people who seek your guidance and direction. For tools, tips, and time hacks to help you save time, read the full article published in the March 2017 edition of AutoSuccess Magazine PDF here.